Friday, January 14, 2011

SWAHILI MORMON WEDDING

Serge and his bride arrive at the church.




It is tradition to decorate the bridal car with paper flowers.


The institute choir sang for an hour and a half as we waited for the bride and groom to arrive (very African.)
They raised the roof because they were so loud and fabulous.


This is a Swahili girl who was dancing and
rockin' to the great music as people were
greeting the bride and groom.  She would give
Swahili whoops and trills often and it made for
beautiful and fun music

4 of our sister missionaries having fun dressing in matching
clothes.  They are joined by a sister to the bride.


Justin's 8 year old son (we work with Justin in
the office.)  This little boy stole my heart
because he reminds me of my 12 year old
grandson - Josh.  They seem to have the
very same personalities and I loved being
around him.


The next day we drove to a little town called Likasi to deliver
soutien (monthly support money) to the missionaries.    It is an
hour and a half drive from Lubumbashi ON GOOD ROADS so
it was a very enjoyable drive through beautiful countryside.
I took a few pictures of the homes.  These are typical of most of
the homes out of the city.  I will post some pictures of homes from the big
city - Lubumbashi - so you can see the difference. 





These boys were washing this live pig while it was on their bike.
They wanted us to buy it for dinner.  We met many people
selling animals along the side of the road.  We could have bought
goats, chickens, fish from the river, and unidentifiable rodents
and animals.  A new way to shop.


3 comments:

Sheron said...

Oh wonderful, beloved Africa!

Taylor said...

I want to get me some of that pork! :)

Amazed said...

I love that these sister missionaries want matching shirts. We need to do that on our next girlfriend trip! I have loved every single picture you've posted! The people are BEAUTIFUL!