Friday, March 4, 2011

BRANCHES AND STAKES

Check out this little fashion queen with attitude!!
She was SO cute and friendly.  The first 4 pictures
were taken in the parking lot at the stake center after
stake conference.  In my last letter I told you about
the gathering in the parking lot after conference.  This
is the most affluent, well run stake in our whole mission.
It feels like being in the states - except that we are the only
white faces.


My very favorite thing is enjoying their fabulous dresses and
headwear. 


More parking lot visiting.  They were waving good-bye as we
were leaving.


This is the toll booth on our way to the Zambia border to visit
the city of Kasumbalesa.  This is the place where we visited a
small "group" and made it a branch.  A group is what exists before
a branch.  I took this picture because of the cage of live chickens
on the roof.  I have been in Africa a little too long because it didn't
seem cruel or disgusting - it just made me hungry.


OOPS - somebody had a bad day long ago

Somebody had a bad day just a couple of days ago.  These are
things we commonly see when we drive through the country to
the villages and cities.


See the van with the back open?  All these people plus more
that didn't get in the picture were in that van for the hour and
a half ride to Kasumbalesa - plus several cases of Fanta soda.
These are the choir members that I told you about 2 weeks ago
in my letter.  They were fabulous!  They came to the meeting to
welcome the group as a new branch in their stake.  This was the
meeting where we were sitting in front of open windows and there
was a revival going on next to us and as the preacher heard this
 fantastic choir he started preaching louder and louder.  Maybe
 he was afraid his people would leave to check out the angelic music.
 

Notice the little girl on the front left - kicked back and all relaxed. 
These primary kids were singing before the meeting started and
they knew all the words to several of our hymns, such as, "The
Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning."  They were amazing.  The
little girl stole all of our hearts.  She sang with gusto, had a little
nap in her chair, and was SO cute.  I MISS MY GRANDKIDS!!!

3 comments:

Sheron said...

Wonderful Africa and the marvelous African Saints! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Marilyn Lewis said...

I fell in love with the little girls from Somalia that I tutored last year....and their baby brother named "Obama"!!! I want to hug the little girl on the front row!!!

Carla Hanks said...

Hi Kathy Love your pictures! Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. You two are amazing. Put me on your e-mail list o.k. momma.hanks@gmail.com or momma.hanks@hotmail.com