Friday, February 11, 2011

This is Africa

P-day but still work to do as my wall street banker
husband does high finance and prepares soutein
(support money) for some of our missionaries


Greg is holding $400 in each hand.  The small stack is American money and the big stack is DR francs.  Their highest franc bill (500 CDF) is worth 50 cents.  They accept both here.  CDFsare important for buying fruit and veges off the
street but most people want dollars because they are more stable than their currency.  Nobody trusts
the banks so everything is done with cash - no   checks, no credit cards.  That makes life tough for the mission
finance guy.  Greg doles out bills from his till all day long and hand records it on a ledger.  We often think we live in
the old west of a hundred years ago.


This is the hospital where we took our sister missionary that I told you about and all of our sick missionaries.  The only one that has gone to the new surgical hospital is the elder who had hernia surgery the day before Christmas.  That new hospital only does high tech surgeries (hernias.)  The hospital in this picture is also the place where I would have gone to get my tooth repaired.  Thank you super glue!

This is the truck that I told you about that tipped over in front of our apartment.


One of our elders washing the baptismal clothes
at the church after a baptism - I was thinking of
Debra and Dan as I saw this.


LOVE THIS PICTURE!!!!!!!


Her hair is a work of art.  It is braided in swirls on the top of her head and the rows that crisscross on the sides.  I love their braiding talents.  I have seen so many wonderful hairstyles.  I like the creative braids the best. 


1 comment:

Lorena said...

the people there are so beautiful! that baby is so cuteeee!